Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Icarus Thompson

One day in the distant future, High School Abby will come home with a social studies project. She'll say, "Dad, do you remember what the 2008 Fred Thompson Presidential campaign was like? I have to write a paper on it."

And I'll say, "Do I remember? I'll never forget it! How long is your paper supposed to be? I hope at least ten pages, because we have a lot to cover!"

If an eagle was riding a rocket ship and it blasted through a rainbow at high noon, that still wouldn't be as majestic and bright a sight as the Fred Thompson Presidential campaign. But sometimes when a candle burns too brightly, it doesn't stick around very long.

It's nothing short of tragedy to have such an energetic and monumentous campaign chopped down in the prime of its life. But I guess sometimes it's better to burn out than fade away. The king is gone, but he's not forgotten.

No comments: