Friday, April 11, 2008

Diabeetis

More than a few adults in this country are chubby. So chubby that they got they Type 2 diabetes. It's all of the corn syrup in the soda! And trying to live off of Klondikes and Fritos! Pretty soon, at least 50% of the population will be blind and stumbling around on peglegs.

So there was this story in the LA Times today about a serialized radio show in Alabama (today, not in 1926) that tries to get people to realize just how bad it is to open up a bag of Lays and give them a second frying in Crisco before chowing down.

The story focused on Loretta Ragland, who's had diabetes for years. She ignored her doctor for years, but when a character from the radio show, Rosalyn, had her kidneys give out, Ragland finally gave up soda and sweets and started walking a bit.

Why did a radio show work and not a doctor? Because, according to Ragland, "When I heard it from a doctor, I wouldn't really listen. But when I heard it on the show, I was like, 'Wow, maybe there is something to this.'"

! !! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When she heard it from a DOCTOR, she didn't care! But when she heard it from a RADIO SHOW, she sprung into action! !! !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As it turns out, the show was created by Connie Kohler, a public health professor. And, one can assume, a person who gets advice and facts for her show from a DOCTOR!

Now, I know what you're saying. This is a chubby woman in Alabama. What do you expect from her? But I'm not so patronizing! I'm hopeful about people! I like to believe that people are thoughtful and reasonable! And I am just constantly, constantly disappointed.

Oh, you know those doctors are their ulterior motives. Always telling you to do this and that so you live longer. It's so annoying! I need 87.9 FM in Huntsville, Alabama to tell me what to do!

No comments: