Wednesday, December 9, 2009

WVFL Wild Card Preview

LAST WEEK: 4-1
SEASON: 46-31

I managed to go 4-1 with the picks last week, mainly because I forgot to pick the Bucs/WBG matchup. Good one!

As usual with the playoff previews, we will be completely ignoring the consolation/self-esteem bracket, even though TK is still making roster moves in a completely adorable fashion.


THE NEV-R-WINS (8-5) at ATLAS SHRUGGZ (6-7)

I am 90% certain that this is the first time I made the fantasy football playoffs and I don't know if I should cry or wind my watch. And what better way to be introduced to the playoffs than having to face Adrian Peterson in your first game? My other two concerns are Benson facing the Minnesota defense and Andre Johnson possibly having Rex Grossman at QB. Grossman will start if Schaub's nearly dislocated shoulder is too painful, though a dislocated shoulder doesn't necessarily make you a worse QB than Rex Grossman.

If it comes down to Monday night, it's going to be Boldin vs. Rackers and that's a weird matchup for me. But if I lose to the playoffs to the likes of Fred Jackson and Robert Meachem, I could hardly count that as a surprise.

THE PICK: THE NEV-R-WINS 105 - ATLAS SHRUGGZ 81


IRON CITY POUNDERS (6-7) at WHIZ-BANG GANG (10-3)

A few weeks ago, the WBG was so certain of a bye that they booked a non-refundable team vacation to Atlantis resort in the Bahamas. Not only did the hotel keep the deposit, they sold the block of rooms this afternoon on Expedia for $199 a night, getting paid twice for the same rooms. Go Atlantis!

Now the WBG actually has to play a cold weather game with a gimpy DeAngelo Williams and a backup Chester Taylor instead of drinking 64-ounce peacharitas. They were on top just a few weeks ago, now they'll be bounced from the tournament by a team that will reach .500 with a playoff win. Such is life.

The WBG should bench Taylor and start Beanie Wells just so this game can come down to Monday night and Alex Smith, Hightower and Wells. That steaming pile would be most representative of this game in general.

THE PICK: IRON CITY POUNDERS 87 - WHIZ-BANG GANG 81