Saturday, October 20, 2012

WVFL Week 7 Preview

LAST WEEK: 5-1
SEASON: 24-12

The picks are on fire, folks. They're so good that my prediction of ST. A'S CRUSADERS 121 - HACKS 91 was just barely off the real final of 120-98.

My powers even frighten me sometimes.


THE NEV-R-WINS (6-0) vs. PURPLE SWIRLS (2-4)
This is a real danger spot on my quest for an undefeated season. Garcon and Jennings are still out, which is forcing a free agent pickup, Stephen Hill, into my lineup. And it's forcing me into a two tight end set. And there's all that weird Caulen karma hanging out there.

Lucky for me, all of Caulen's players except Hawkins have the early game, so it won't be too long before I know what point total I have to surpass.

By the way, according to super-nifty Record Book that Nate pointed out to all of us this week, my current 6-game winning streak is the longest in WVFL history.*

(*According to the Record Book header, our league is missing data on the years 2003-2010, and therefore those years are not included.)

THE PICK: THE NEV-R-WINS 91 - PURPLE SWIRLS 89


THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW (3-3) vs. LOWCOUNTRY ALL STARS (3-3)
I tell Webster he needs to step it up and his team puts up 101. I predict that Nate is going to be upset and he scores 109. I mean...I guess I'm happy I'm so influential. I'm like an undecided Ohio voter. People will take whatever dumb thought I have and jump through hoops for me.

As Nate so astutely pointed out, both of his QBs have a bye this week, so emergency FA pickup Christian Ponders gets the run. Another fun quirk is that Nate has DeAngelo Williams, while Web has Cam and Jon Stewart, so the Carolina red zone trips will be nice and tense.

As much as I would like to pick Nate here, the fact that he had two rosters go on Thursday and only managed 3.2 points doesn't make his prospects all that bright.

THE PICK: LOWCOUNTRY ALL STARS 79 - THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW 60


ZOLTAN'S ZEROS (3-3) vs. HACKS (3-3)
The winner here could take "control" of the "totally uninspiring" Weegie Thompson. This division is like a school for slow kids where the only possible grade is a B-. (And DFA is STILL failing out!)

Considering Frank Gore's Thursday night breakout and the fact that Trent Richardson's injury might force Daryl Richardson into the lineup, I do not like the chances des Hacks this week.

THE PICK: ZOLTAN'S ZEROS 105 - HACKS 84


ATLAS SHRUGGZ (2-4) vs. WHIZ-BANG GANG (4-2)
I...look, I don't wan to be rude here. But Aaron Rodgers and AJ Green alone can probably outscore at least 7 of these Shruggz players.

Let's...let's just move on.

THE PICK: WHIZ-BANG GANG 114 - ATLAS SHRUGGZ 55


IRON CITY POUNDERS (2-4) vs. FIREROCK ROCKERS (5-1)
Josh Freeman at QB because Ryan is on a bye, no kicker because the kicker is on a bye, Mark Ingram because I don't know why, and LaRod Stephens-Howling because...I mean, there is no answer for that.

As much I would love to see an upset here, I don't think I'm going to get one.

Tony, your team is looking great this season. Only one foe has been able to vanquish you so far. And I think we both recall who it was.

THE PICK: FIREROCK ROCKERS 105 - IRON CITY POUNDERS 49


ST. A'S CRUSADERS (3-3) vs. DEATHFROMABOVE (0-6)
The cream of the Weeg at .500, the Crusaders definitely do not want to be the first team that lets DFA up off the mat. Get up offa that thing, man!

Once again, I would love to call for the upset but just can't.

Wait a minute! Yes I can!

THE PICK: DEATHFROMABOVE 97 - ST. A'S CRUSADERS 96

No comments: